- Category: Widget
- Published on Friday, 18 July 2014 12:57
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 135
Commercial Bank on Staten Island Points to FDIC ‘Anti-Phishing’ Campaign
Victory State Bank is pointing to the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) as a resource in protecting consumers against Internet fraud.
The FDIC has a Webpage that informs and warns consumers about a type of fraud called "phishing." The term "phishing" – as in fishing for confidential information – refers to a scam that encompasses fraudulently obtaining and using an individual's personal or financial information.
This is how it works, according to the FDIC:
- A consumer receives an e-mail which appears to originate from a financial institution, government agency, or other well-known/reputable entity.
- The message describes an urgent reason you must "verify" or "re-submit" personal or confidential information by clicking on a link embedded in the message.
- The provided link appears to be the Web site of the financial institution, government agency or other well-known/reputable entity, but in "phishing" scams, the Web site belongs to the fraudster/scammer.
- Once inside the fraudulent Web site, the consumer may be asked to provide Social Security numbers, account numbers, passwords or other information used to identify the consumer, such as the maiden name of the consumer's mother or the consumer's place of birth.
- When the consumer provides the information, those perpetrating the fraud can begin to access consumer accounts or assume the person's identity.
For more information about “phishing” scams and how to protect yourself, visit the FDIC online at http://www.fdic.gov/consumers/consumer/alerts/phishing.html.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQB: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited onlinehttp://www.victorystatebank.com.