- Category: Widget
- Published on Tuesday, 23 September 2014 12:51
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 88
9 Tips For Preventing Cyber Fraud
Business Bank on Staten Island Shares Advice From FBI
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Now that fall has arrived, Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is reminding consumers and business owners to remain vigilant in protecting themselves from cyber fraud.
As the holiday shopping season draws closer, online thieves may increase their efforts to trick unsuspecting computer users out of money and personal data.
Victory State Bank suggests following these nine tips from the FBI to help avoid becoming a victim of cyber fraud:
1) Do not respond to unsolicited (spam) e-mail.
2) Do not click on links contained within an unsolicited e-mail.
3) Be cautious of e-mail claiming to contain pictures in attached files; the files may contain viruses. Only open attachments from known senders. Scan the attachments for viruses if possible.
4) Avoid filling out forms contained in e-mail messages that ask for personal information.
5) Always compare the link in the e-mail to the link you are actually directed to and determine if they match and will lead you to a legitimate site.
6) Log on directly to the official website for the business identified in the e-mail instead of “linking” to it from an unsolicited e-mail. If the e-mail appears to be from your bank, credit card issuer, or other company you deal with frequently, your statements or official correspondence from the business will provide the proper contact information.
7) Contact the actual business that supposedly sent the e-mail to verify that the e-mail is genuine.
8) If you are requested to act quickly or there is an emergency that requires your attention, it may be a scam. Fraudsters create a sense of urgency to get you to act quickly.
9) Remember if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQB: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.victorystatebank.com.