Victory State Bank: Guard Your Personal Numbers To The Best Of Your Ability
Staten Island, N.Y. – Most people know about the dangers posed by identity thieves. And it seems no one is fully protected.
Last week, The Associated Press reported that Paul Allen, the billionaire co-founder of Microsoft, had his identity stolen. In recent days, reports revealed that credit-card processor Global Payments Inc. was breeched by hackers, placing at risk the private information of as many as 1.5 million accounts in North America.
A first line of defense against ID theft is to be aware of how thieves work.
The Social Security Administration lists the following common ways identity thieves get your personal information:
- Stealing wallets, purses and your mail (bank and credit card statements, pre-approved credit offers, new checks and tax information);
- Stealing personal information you provide to an unsecured site on the Internet, from business or personnel records at work and personal information in your home;
- Rummaging through your trash, the trash of businesses and public trash dumps for personal data;
- Posing by phone or E-mail as someone who legitimately needs information about you, such as employers or landlords; or
- Buying personal information from "inside sources." For example, an identity thief may pay a store employee for information about you that appears on an application for goods, services or credit.
About Victory State Bank:
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online http://www.victorystatebank.com .