Victory State Bank Shares FBI’s Concern Over Economic Espionage
Running a business is always a challenge, with new or growing hurdles popping up at any given moment. Even when things appear to be running smoothly, business people need to remain alert to potential threats.
Foreign economic espionage against the United States is a significant and growing threat to our country’s economic health and security...and so is the threat from corporate insiders willing to carry it out, according to a recent warning from the FBI.
As a member of the business community, Victory State Bank wants to share the following warning signs from the FBI, which may indicate that employees are spying and/or stealing secrets from their company:
- They work odd hours without authorization.
- Without need or authorization, they take proprietary or other information home in hard copy form and/or on thumb drives, computer disks, or e-mail.
- They unnecessarily copy material, especially if it’s proprietary or classified.
- They disregard company policies about installing personal software or hardware, accessing restricted websites, conducting unauthorized searches, or downloading confidential material.
- They take short trips to foreign countries for unexplained reasons.
- They engage in suspicious personal contacts with competitors, business partners, or other unauthorized individuals.
- They buy things they can’t afford.
- They are overwhelmed by life crises or career disappointments.
- They are concerned about being investigated, leaving traps to detect searches of their home or office or looking for listening devices or cameras.
If you suspect someone in your office may be committing economic espionage, report it to your corporate security officer and to your local FBI office, or submit a tip online at https://tips.fbi.gov/.
About Victory State Bank:
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online http://www.victorystatebank.com .