Victory State Bank Urges Computer Users To Take Notice Of National Cyber Security Awareness Month
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Victory State Bank is urging business owners and consumers to review the necessary steps for protecting information stored on their computers.
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month — for the ninth straight year.
Since last October, the threat has continued to grow even more complex and sophisticated. Recently, FBI Director Robert Mueller said that “cyber security may well become our highest priority in the years to come.”
For its part, the FBI is strengthening its cyber operations to sharpen its focus on the greatest cyber threats to national security: computer intrusions and network attacks.
Because of the interconnectedness of online systems, every American who uses digital technologies at home or in the office can — and must — play a part in cyber security. For example, if you open a virus-laden e-mail attachment at work, you could infect your entire company’s computer network. Don’t be the weakest link: Get educated on cyber safety.
The FBI offers a few basic steps you can take to be more secure:
- Set strong passwords, and don’t share them with anyone.
- Keep a clean machine—your operating system, browser, and other critical software are optimized by installing regular updates.
- Maintain an open dialogue with your family, friends, and community about Internet safety.
- Limit the amount of personal information you post online, and use privacy settings to avoid sharing information widely.
- Be cautious about what you receive or read online—if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.
For additional information about cyber security, log onto http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/investigate/cyber.
About Victory State Bank:
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online http://www.victorystatebank.com .