- Category: Widget
- Published: Tuesday, 10 December 2013 14:33
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 270
Beware of Car-Sale Telemarketing Scam,
Warns Staten Island Business Bank
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Please allow Victory State Bank to set up the following scenario: You want to sell your car without any hassles for a fair price. So you place an ad on a community website hoping for a quick sale. Shortly thereafter, you get a call from what sounds like an auto company. For a fee, the company promises to put you in touch with a buyer. If your car isn’t sold, they promise to refund your money. So you go ahead and pay the fee, and wait for the company to present a buyer for your car.
The catch? According to a recent case settled by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the auto company’s claims are false. There are no buyers, and there is no refund. It’s just another scam designed to bilk consumers.
Steer clear of telemarketing scams related to selling a car by following these tips:
- Resist making an immediate decision when someone cold calls you in response to an ad you placed.Scam telemarketers are likely to use high-pressure tactics to get you give them money.
- Research a company before paying a fee for their service.Go online and use a search engine to find out what the company track record is. Look for any complaints that might signal a red flag.
- Get the specifics of the service you’re paying for in writing.Ask for a copy of the company policy and terms of the service on paper, and make sure you read and understand the fine print before agreeing to it or signing anything.
- Register your home and mobile phone numbers with theNational Do Not Call Registry. Although it won’t stop all unsolicited telemarketing calls, it will stop most. If your number is on the registry and you still get calls, they’re likely to be from scammers ignoring the law.
- Report fraud.If you suspect a company is scamming you after having promised a service and not delivering,file a complaint with the FTC.
About Victory State Bank:
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (NASDAQ: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online http://www.victorystatebank.com.
Relevant Public Relations, LLC
Headquarters: 718 682 1509
Mobile: 917 715 8761