- Category: Widget
- Published: Wednesday, 09 April 2014 15:00
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 311
Fake IRS collectors are calling; Part 2
Staten Island’s only community-based business bank shares how to protect yourself from IRS scam
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. –This time of year is often taxing for many consumers. Scams aimed at stealing taxpayers’ money make the season more stressful.
The Treasury Inspector General for Taxpayer Administration (TIGTA) warns that crooks posing as Internal Revenue Service (IRS) officials are contacting people claiming they owe taxes. The caller demands a prepaid debit card, wire transfer or a credit card number for payment. If the person doesn’t comply, the caller threatens to arrest or deport the target, or take away their driver’s license or business.
Thousands of victims have lost money to these tax scam artists. But there are ways to recognize them and foil their attempts to steal your money.
To protect yourself from imposters who call, claiming to be from the IRS:
- don’t provide any account or other personal information. Hang up the phone.
- never wire money to a person or company you don’t know. Once you wire money, you can’t get it back.
- if you owe - or think you owe - federal taxes, call the IRS at 800-829-1040. IRS workers can help you with your payment questions. You also can visit the IRS website at irs.gov.
- if you’ve already paid your taxes, call and report the incident to TIGTA at 800-366-4484.
- file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission at ftc.gov/complaint. Include “IRS Telephone Scam" in your complaint.
About Victory State Bank:
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTC: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online http://www.victorystatebank.com.