- Category: Widget
- Published: Friday, 14 February 2014 13:07
- Written by Super User
- Hits: 379
Stay Alert to Online Dating Scams
Staten Island’s only community-based business bank wishes for everyone to have a happy and safe Valentine’s Day
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – We hear these stories all the time, and they tend to go a little like this: “I met this really nice woman on [fill in the name of the dating site]. Her membership was about to expire, so we switched to email. She’s from the United States, but she’s working in [fill in the name of another country]. We connected right away, and we’re planning to meet. But things are a little tight for her right now because of [fill in reason for no money]. So I wired her the money for the ticket….”
It’s easy to get caught up in the moment. It really is. You’re on a dating site to meet people, and it seems like you have. But the Federal Trade Commission suggests you let the warning bells ring if you see or hear:
- Animmediaterequest to leave the site. Many online dating sites have protections in place to help protect you from scammers.
- Love at first sight. Most of us are hopeful people, but wow – love based on a profile and a couple of emails? Hmm. Sure, explore that, but watch out.
- Any request for money. Any request. For any reason: Plane tickets, visas, a child’s (mother’s, whoever’s) hospital bill, expenses until their ship comes in…. That is a sure sign of a scam. Block and delete them and move along.
- Any mention of wiring money. If you wire money, it’s gone. Bye-bye. You’ll never see it again. Good for scammers, bad for you.
So, for Valentine’s Day, do us a favor: Keep in mind that you want someone who’s after you, not your money – and that warning bells can sound like wedding bells if you’re not listening carefully.
About Victory State Bank:
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTC: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online http://www.victorystatebank.com.