- Category: Widget
- Published: Monday, 30 March 2015 16:43
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 539
Giving Selfie A New Purpose
Staten Island business bank suggests photo could spur motivation
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Fitness has its seasons, and as resolutions morph into a countdown toward vacations and beaches, inspiration for staying fit can come from different sources.
Victory State Bank, Staten Island's only community-based commercial bank, offers some stay-fit pointers from the Web, many of them geared to women, albeit not necessarily gender-specific.
Blame it on technology perhaps, but in today's busy, high-tech era, women are carrying more and more responsibility.
Society expects them to earn a living; climb the corporate ladder; manage a home; and provide for the family by cooking, cleaning, doing laundry and helping care for them.
In addition, these women – who are multitasking and on-call 24/7 – are expected to look good and feel good, one of the Web sources asserts.
Many women say to themselves, "I used to be very active and worked out every day. These days, I find it hard to fit exercise and diet into my day." They often ask, "What can I do, and where can I start?"
This simple question typically gets a not-so-simple answer. In order to see that people get and stay healthy, here are some quick tips for those busy women, as well as men.
* Get on a scale, take a photo, and set a goal. You must start somewhere. Find out where you are today. Then, set a small, short-term, obtainable goal. Write it down next to the photo.
* To use a calorie counter, food journal and a social network community, all free online or by app, a website such as www.myfitnesspal.com might be helpful.
* At the same time you're doing laundry, it's possible to tighten, tone and firm with an in-house wrap from It Works! Global (itworksglobal.com). User reviews say that the body wrap motivates them to work out.
* Get up and go workout. You schedule dental checkups, haircuts, salon sessions and soccer practice the same way you can schedule fitness. Schedule a 30-minute workout four to six times per week. If you don't, it won't happen. If you can't spare 30 minutes, squeeze in a vigorous 10 minutes that day.
* Photo food journal. Studies show that photographing and journaling your meal is six times more effective for curbing overeating.
* Cut sugar and starches. Avoid white-colored food except cauliflower and meats.
* Join a group exercise program. Yoga, spin and CrossFit, among others, are all ways to meet new friends and enjoy the familiarity and accountability of group exercise.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office is in the community of Great Kills, and branches are in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.