- Category: Widget
- Published: Thursday, 02 July 2015 18:20
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 389
Staten Island Commercial Bank Warns of Text-Messaging Hackers
Think twice before responding to unsolicited text messages, warns Victory State Bank.
The financial institution, Staten Island’s only community-based business bank, is calling attention to a scam that was recently highlighted by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC).
In the scenario, a potential fraud victim receives a text message that appears to be from Google.
It reads along the lines of: “Google has detected unusual activity on your account. Please reply with the verification code sent to your mobile device to stop unauthorized activity.”
Victory State Bank is supporting the FTC warning of DO NOT RESPOND! If you do, you will be providing a hacker access to your email account.
Here’s what happened behind the scenes:
1) A hacker who has your email address and mobile number goes to the email login screen, clicks “Forgot Password,” and asks for a verification code via text message.
2) You then get the verification code on your phone.
3) The hacker — pretending to be your email provider — sends you a text message and asks for the code.
4) You forward the code to the hacker, and the hacker has everything needed to complete the login process.
The hacker could gather a lot of information about you while snooping through your email. He also could change your settings, so future emails sent to you are forwarded to the hacker. It could be a long time before you notice this change.
Don’t send verification codes to anyone via text or email. Use these codes only on the login page. And if you get a verification code that you didn’t request, let your provider know about it. That could be a sign that someone is tampering with your account.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.