- Category: Widget
- Published: Monday, 13 July 2015 16:50
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 172
Staten Island Business Bank Reminds Travelers
To Beware of ID Theft ‘Skimming Devices’
As people hit the road destined for summer vacation spots, Victory State bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is again echoing the advice of the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), which warns consumers to beware of identity-theft devices during their travels.
ATMs and gas stations — especially in tourist areas — may have skimming devices, notes the FTC.
Scammers use cameras, keypad overlays, and skimming devices — like a realistic-looking card reader placed over the factory-installed card reader on an ATM or gas pump — to capture the information from your card’s magnetic strip without your knowledge and get your PIN, the FTC warns.
The FBI offers the following tips to avoid being scammed by a skimmer:
· Inspect the ATM, gas pump, or credit card reader before using it…be suspicious if you see anything loose, crooked, or damaged, or if you notice scratches or adhesive/tape residue.
· When entering your PIN, block the keypad with your other hand to prevent possible hidden cameras from recording your number.
· If possible, use an ATM at an inside location (less access for criminals to install skimmers).
· Be careful of ATMs in tourist areas…they are a popular target of skimmers.
· If your card isn’t returned after the transaction or after hitting “cancel,” immediately contact the financial institution that issued the card.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.