- Category: Widget
- Published: Friday, 07 August 2015 18:37
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 217
5 Tips for Saving Money on Back-to-School Shopping
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – For some, it may be hard to admit: Summer 2015 is speeding along and we’re just weeks away from the start of a new school year.
Before parents begin feeling pressured to buy school supplies at a heightened pace, Victory State Bank advises organizing a back-to-school shopping strategy in order to reduce stress and save money.
To get you started, Staten Island’s only community-based business bank is sharing eight tips from the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) to help you get the best bang for your buck.
1) Get the teacher-approved list. Many teachers have lists of items they want their students to have.
2) Involve your kids. Use school shopping as a way to teach your children about money, budgeting and organizing.
3) Take an inventory of clothing and supplies you already have. Then, set a budget and buy only what you need.
4) Use price comparison apps to help you check for the best available price in real time. Many of these apps use your phone’s camera to scan a product code. Then they search online databases to show you prices and information about similar products sold online or in stores.
5) Consider buying used or refurbished, whether its clothing, sporting equipment, electronics or musical instruments. Consignment and resale shops are a great place to find quality merchandise at deep discounts.
6) Take advantage of tax-free shopping. Many states offer tax-free shopping days in August. It can be a great time to save on clothing and school supplies.
7) Ask about refund and return policies, including sale items. Merchants often have different refund and return policies for sale items, especially clearance merchandise.
8) Save receipts! When you’re shopping online, keep copies of your order number, the refund and return policies, shipping costs and warranties.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.