- Category: Widget
- Published: Thursday, 03 September 2015 16:54
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 304
4 Tips for Stopping Scam Artists on Your Doorstep
Victory State Bank is echoing some good advice from the Federal Trade Commission: Be on guard for scam artists who approach you at home.
In the past, Staten Island’s only community-based business bank has educated consumers about frauds perpetrated by phone or via the Internet, but some thieves continue to use the old-fashioned method of knocking on doors.
The FTC warns of scams involving homeowner dilemmas, such as the need for home repairs or the reconnection of cable or utility services.
In order to protect your money, property and personal safety, Victory State Bank encourages consumers to follow these tips from the FTC:
1) Don’t let anyone come into your home unless you have a prescheduled appointment. You have the right to refuse to open your own door.
2) Don’t pay cash to anyone who comes to your home claiming to be with a utility company or other service provider.
3) Confirm any special offers with your service provider — using the number on your bill or their website. Also, be suspicious of a promotional flyer offering service from multiple providers. Competitors don’t typically advertise together.
4) If you’re struggling with your bill, most providers can make payment arrangements to restore your service legitimately.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.