- Category: Widget
- Published: Friday, 18 September 2015 13:51
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 152
Staten Island Business Bank Highlights 11 Tips for Guarding Against Identity Theft
Identity theft is a very common crime, wreaking havoc on the finances of individuals and businesses.
As a result Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is urging consumers and business owners to protect their private data by following these basic tips from the U.S. government:
1) Secure your social security number. Don’t carry your social security card in your wallet or write your number on your checks. Only give out your social security number (SSN) when absolutely necessary.
2) Don’t respond to unsolicited requests for personal information (your name, birthdate, social security number, or bank account number) by phone, mail, or online.
3) Watch out for “shoulder surfers.” Shield the keypad when typing your passwords on computers and at ATMs.
4) Collect mail promptly. Ask the post office to put your mail on hold when you are away from home.
5) Pay attention to your billing cycles. If bills or financial statements are late, contact the sender.
6) Review your receipts. Ask for carbon copies and incorrect charge slips as well. Promptly compare receipts with account statements. Watch for unauthorized transactions.
7) Shred receipts, credit offers, account statements, and expired cards, to prevent “dumpster divers” from getting your personal information.
8) Store personal information in a safe place at home and at work.
9) Install firewalls and virus-detection software on your home computer.
10) Create complex passwords that identity thieves cannot guess easily. Change your passwords if a company that you do business with has a breach of its databases.
11) Order your credit report once a year and review to be certain that it doesn't include accounts that you have not opened. Check it more frequently if you suspect someone has gained access to your account information.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.