- Category: Widget
- Published: Tuesday, 06 October 2015 09:32
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 254
Victory State Bank Promotes Cybersecurity Know-How with Tips for Protecting Mobile Devices
October is National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – The number of attacks on mobile devices is growing, in part, as a result of the increased popularity of mobile banking. According to a report by the Federal Reserve, 51 percent of smartphone users say they have used mobile banking in the past 12 months.
“The rise in the popularity of mobile devices has certainly made them a target for cyber-criminals,” said Ralph Branca, president and CEO of Victory State Bank. “Banks work hard to protect customer information and customers play an important role. Any device used to connect to the Internet is at risk and we urge users to keep safety measures in place.”
In recognition of National Cybersecurity Awareness Month, Victory State Bank recommends that consumers take extra precaution to protect the data on their mobile device by doing the following:
· Use the passcode lock on your smartphone and other devices. This will make it more difficult for thieves to access your information if your device is lost or stolen.
· Log out completely when you finish a mobile banking session.
· Protect your phone from viruses and malicious software, or malware, just like you do for your computer by installing mobile security software.
· Use caution when downloading apps. Apps can contain malicious software, worms, and viruses. Beware of apps that ask for unnecessary “permissions.”
· Download the updates for your phone and mobile apps.
· Avoid storing sensitive information like passwords or a social security number on your mobile device.
· Tell your financial institution immediately if you change your phone number or lose your mobile device.
· Be aware of shoulder surfers. The most basic form of information theft is observation. Be aware of your surroundings especially when you’re punching in sensitive information.
· Wipe your mobile device before you donate, sell or trade it using specialized software or using the manufacturer’s recommended technique. Some software allows you to wipe your device remotely if it is lost or stolen.
· Beware of mobile phishing. Avoid opening links and attachments in emails and texts, especially from senders you don’t know. And be wary of ads (not from your security provider) claiming that your device is infected.
· Watch out for public Wi-Fi. Public connections aren't very secure, so don’t perform banking transactions on a public network. If you need to access your account, try disabling the Wi-Fi and switching to your mobile network.
· Report any suspected fraud to your bank immediately.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.