- Category: Widget
- Published: Tuesday, 13 October 2015 14:35
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 273
7 Tips for Protecting a Small Business
From Cyber Attacks
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is urging small businesses to be diligent in their cybersecurity practices.
According to the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, 44 percent of small businesses reported being the victim of a cyber attack, with an average cost of approximately $9,000 per attack. Nearly 59 percent of U.S. small and medium-sized businesses do not have a contingency
To better protect your small business, Victory State Bank suggests following these Homeland Security tips:
1) Make sure all of your organization’s computers are equipped with antivirus software and antispyware. This software should be updated regularly.
2) Secure your Internet connection by using a firewall, encrypt information, and hide your Wi- Fi network.
3) Establish security practices and policies to protect sensitive information.
4) Educate employees about cyber threats and how to protect your organization’s data. Hold employees accountable to the Internet security policies and procedures.
5) Require employees to use strong passwords and to change them often.
6) Invest in data loss protection software, use encryption technologies to protect data in transit, and use two-factor authentication where possible.
7) Protect all pages on your public-facing websites, not just the checkout and sign-up pages.
IF YOU’VE BEEN COMPROMISED:
• Inform local law enforcement or the state attorney general as appropriate.
• Report stolen finances or identities and other cyber crimes to the Internet Crime Complaint Center at www.ic3.gov.
• Report fraud to the Federal Trade Commission at www.onguardonline.gov/file-complaint.
• Report computer or network vulnerabilities to US-CERT via the hotline: 1-888-282-0870 or www.us-cert.gov.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.