- Category: Widget
- Published: Wednesday, 21 October 2015 16:33
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 242
Staten Island Business Bank Echoes 14 FBI Tips for Avoiding Non-Delivery of Merchandise Bought on the Internet
Before your next online-shopping experience, you should learn how to avoid paying for something you may never receive, advises Victory State Bank.
The financial institution, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, says you stand a better chance of side-stepping bogus online sellers by following these 14 tips from the Federal Bureau of Investigation:
1) Make sure you are purchasing merchandise from a reputable source.
2) Do your homework on the individual or company to ensure that they are legitimate.
3) Obtain a physical address rather than simply a post office box and a telephone number, and call the seller to see if the telephone number is correct and working.
4) Send an e-mail to the seller to make sure the e-mail address is active, and be wary of those that utilize free e-mail services where a credit card wasn’t required to open the account.
5) Consider not purchasing from sellers who won’t provide you with this type of information.
6) Check with the Better Business Bureau from the seller’s area.
7) Check out other websites regarding this person/company.
8) Don’t judge a person or company by their website. Flashy websites can be set up quickly.
9) Be cautious when responding to special investment offers, especially through unsolicited e-mail.
10) Be cautious when dealing with individuals/companies from outside your own country.
11) Inquire about returns and warranties.
12) If possible, purchase items online using your credit card, because you can often dispute the charges if something goes wrong.
13) Make sure the transaction is secure when you electronically send your credit card numbers.
14) Consider using an escrow or alternate payment service.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.