- Category: Widget
- Published: Wednesday, 28 October 2015 16:00
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 248
4 Towing Rights You Should Know About in NYC
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Victory State Bank wants consumers to know about a common scam involving motorists who park their cars in private lots. In doing so, the financial institution, Staten Island’ only community-based business bank, is sharing information from the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA).
If you park in a private lot where a sign says it’s reserved for customers only, your car could be towed if you leave the area. But, according to the city agency, some tow companies will try to tow you even if you don’t leave, or will tow your car around the corner and then try to get you to pay more than the legal rate and to pay in cash to get your car back.
To help you better understand your rights, here are four tips from the DCA:
1) If a car is about to be towed from the lot, the drop fee for unhooking a car is $62.50.
2) If you’ve been towed, the fee is $125 for the towing and three days of storage.
3) Tow companies must accept at least two major credit cards.
4) If you’re in an accident, only use the tow company called by NYPD. It’s illegal for tow companies to just show up on the scene of an accident and offer to tow your car.
For more tips about towing, to check the license status of a tow company, or to file a complaint, visit nyc.gov/consumers or call 311.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.