- Category: Widget
- Published: Friday, 30 October 2015 17:37
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 166
7 Ways to Shield a Small Business from a Cyber Attack
October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month
STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. – Does your business have adequate cyber security? Victory State Bank is urging small-business owners to review the measures needed to protect their enterprises from a cyber attack. October is National Cyber Security Awareness Month. Although the month is coming to a close, cyber-security diligence remains an ongoing necessity, says the bank.
The financial institution, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is sharing a warning from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS), which indicates that 44 percent of small businesses reported being the victim of a cyber attack, with an average cost of approximately $9,000 per attack. The agency notes that nearly 59 percent of U.S. small and medium-sized businesses do not have a contingency plan that outlines procedures for responding to and reporting data breach losses
Victory State Bank recommends that businesses implement cyber security practices throughout their organizations in order to safeguard their information and data for increased profits.
The bank points to these simple tips from DHS for protecting your small business from cyber criminals:
1) Make sure all of your organization’s computers are equipped with antivirus software and antispyware. This software should be updated regularly.
2) Secure your Internet connection by using a firewall, encrypt information, and hide your Wi-Fi network.
3) Establish security practices and policies to protect sensitive information.
4) Educate employees about cyber threats and how to protect your organization’s data. Hold employees accountable to the Internet security policies and procedures.
5) Require employees to use strong passwords and to change them often.
6) Invest in data loss protection software, use encryption technologies to protect data in transit, and use two-factor authentication where possible.
7) Protect all pages on your public-facing websites, not just the checkout and sign-up pages.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.