- Category: Widget
- Published: Friday, 06 November 2015 17:35
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 410
4 Tips for Protecting Kids
From Window Cord Strangulation
Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is sharing an alert from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) in an effort to protect the most valuable treasures in our lives: Our children.
The CPSC has identified window coverings with cords as one of the top five hidden hazards in the home.
To prevent tragic child strangulations, Victory State Bank is urging people to follow CPSC’s recommendation of using cordless window coverings in all homes where children live or visit.
About once a month a child between 7 months and 10 years old dies from window cord strangulation and another child suffers a near strangulation.
In recent years, CPSC has recalled over five million window coverings, including Roman shades, roller and roll-up blinds, vertical and horizontal blinds. Strangulation deaths and injuries can occur anywhere in the house where a window covering with a cord is installed.
Children can wrap window covering cords around their necks or can pull cords that are not clearly visible but are accessible and become entangled in the loops. These incidents happen quickly and silently.
CPSC offers the following safety tips to prevent deaths and injuries associated with window covering cords:
1) Examine all shades and blinds in the home. CPSC recommends the use of cordless window coverings in all homes where children live or visit. Make sure there are no accessible cords on the front, side, or back of the product.
2) Do not place cribs, beds, and furniture close to the windows because children can climb on them and gain access to the cords.
3) Make loose cords inaccessible.
4) If the window shade has looped bead chains or nylon cords, install tension devices to keep the cord taut.
For more information about protecting children from the threat of window cord strangulation and other dangers, log onto http://www.cpsc.gov.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.