- Category: Widget
- Published: Friday, 13 November 2015 12:03
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 232
Staten Island Business Bank Cites 5 Ways to Guard Against ID Theft at ATMs
ATM machines are convenient, but consumers should always be on guard for identity thieves when using them, warns Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank. Some identity thieves install skimmers or small hidden cameras on ATM machines that can access the information on your card.
Skimmers are small devices that are not easily noticed – they are difficult to detect and fit over the normal card slot.
To protect yourself at ATMs, Victory advises that you follow these tips from the FBI:
1) Inspect the ATM, gas pump, or credit card reader before using it…be suspicious if you see anything loose, crooked, or damaged, or if you notice scratches or adhesive/tape residue.
2) When entering your PIN, block the keypad with your other hand to prevent possible hidden cameras from recording your number.
3) If possible, use an ATM at an inside location – because they provide less access for criminals to install skimmers.
4) Be careful of ATMs in tourist areas; they are a popular target of skimmers.
5) If your card isn’t returned after the transaction or after hitting “cancel,” immediately contact the financial institution that issued the card.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.