- Category: Widget
- Published: Monday, 11 January 2016 10:55
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 290
How to Keep Your Kids’ Personal Information Out of the Hands of Thieves
Many people concerned about the threat of identity theft may not be aware that children also are at risk of having their personal information stolen. Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, is sharing the following tips for protecting your children from identity thieves, courtesy of the New York State Department of State, Division of Consumer Protection:
1) Keep birth certificates, social security cards and other personal information safely locked away.
2) Only provide Social Security numbers when absolutely necessary
3) Shred papers with personal information before discarding.
4) Protect electronic files containing personal information with passwords and delete files when no longer needed.
5) Remove all previously stored personal and financial information from any electronic devices that are being sold, recycled or disposed.
6) Before you allow your children to use the Internet, teach them about what information is private and should not be shared online.
7) Set privacy settings on social media websites to a secure level to protect your children.
8) Use passwords that are at least eight characters long and contain a combination of letters, numbers, and symbols. Change passwords frequently and never share them.
9) When using a shared computer, log off websites and the terminal after each use. Update computer anti-virus software and ensure firewall protection is turned on.
10) Never send personal information through unsecured wireless connections in public places.
11) Check the level of security for each website used by looking for the padlock icon on the right side of the address bar and a URL that begins with “https.”
12) Learn about the warning signs of child ID theft by reading the “Safeguarding Your Child’s Identity” online brochure, offered by the New York State Department of State, Division of Consumer Protection.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.