- Category: Widget
- Published: Thursday, 03 March 2016 11:34
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 263
5 Types of Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TINs)
It’s tax season on Staten Island and across the United States, requiring that businesses and individuals use appropriate Taxpayer Identification Numbers (TIN).
A TIN is an identification number that is used in the administration of tax laws. You must provide a TIN on returns, statements, and other tax-related documents.
To illustrate the variety of TINs available, Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community0based commercial bank, is sharing the following information from USA.gov, the nation’s official web portal:
Types of TINs Available
- Social Security Number (SSN) - You need this nine-digit number to get a job, receive Social Security benefits, and other government services.
- Find out how to get a new, replacement, or corrected card.
- Employer Identification Number (EIN) - This is also known as a federal tax identification number, and is used to identify a business entity.
- Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) - This tax processing number is only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a SSN.
- To obtain an ITIN, you must complete IRS Form W-7, IRS Application for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (PDF, Download Adobe Reader).
- Adoption Taxpayer Identification Number (ATIN) - A temporary nine-digit number issued by the IRS to individuals who are in the process of legally adopting a U.S. citizen or resident child but who cannot get an SSN for that child in time to file their tax return.
- To apply for an ATIN, you must complete Form W-7A, Application for Taxpayer Identification Number for Pending U.S. Adoptions (PDF, Download Adobe Reader).
- Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) - If you are a paid tax preparer you must use a valid Preparer Tax Identification Number (PTIN) on returns you prepare.
- To get a PTIN, use the IRS sign-up system.
The Social Security Administration (SSA) issues a SSN while the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) issues all other TINs.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.