- Category: Widget
- Published: Thursday, 12 May 2016 11:37
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 518
10 Signs That Your Identity Has Been Stolen
If your identity is stolen, you should react to the breech of personal data as soon the intrusion is discovered.
Highlighting the importance of detecting ID theft as early as possible, Victory State Bank, Staten Island’s only community-based commercial bank, suggests that consumers become familiar with the warning signs of such crimes.
As explained by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC), the impact of ID theft can be financially brutal: Once identity thieves have your personal information, they can drain your bank account, run up charges on your credit cards, open new utility accounts, or get medical treatment on your health insurance. An identity thief can file a tax refund in your name and get your refund. In some extreme cases, a thief might even give your name to the police during an arrest.
Victory State Bank urges consumers to be on the lookout for the following clues, listed by the FTC, that indicate someone has stolen your information:
1) You see withdrawals from your bank account that you can’t explain.
2) You don’t get your bills or other mail.
3) Merchants refuse your checks.
4) Debt collectors call you about debts that aren’t yours.
5) You find unfamiliar accounts or charges on your credit report.
6) Medical providers bill you for services you didn’t use.
7) Your health plan rejects your legitimate medical claim because the records show you’ve reached your benefits limit.
8) A health plan won’t cover you because your medical records show a condition you don’t have.
9) The IRS notifies you that more than one tax return was filed in your name, or that you have income from an employer you don’t work for.
10) You get notice that your information was compromised by a data breach at a company where you do business or have an account.
If your wallet, Social Security number, or other personal information is lost or stolen, there are steps you can take to help protect yourself from identity theft.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.