- Category: Widget
- Published: Tuesday, 05 July 2016 12:08
- Written by Isaac
- Hits: 364
Commercial Bank on Staten Island Highlights
Online Shopping Safety Measures
If it’s become second nature for you to shop online, Victory State Bank suggests you review some of the steps needed to reduce the possibility of identity theft, fraud and invasion of privacy while shopping.
To help you get started, Staten Island’s only community-based business bank is sharing these tips from the New York Department of State’s Division of Consumer protection:
1. Only buy from a trustworthy and reputable seller. If a website looks unprofessional, don’t buy from it.
2. Request a catalogue or brochure from a company you are unfamiliar with before you shop from its website.
3. Understand the product you are buying and the terms of the sale. Double-check price and quantity, and comparison-shop on other websites. If a deal seems too good to be true, it probably is.
4. Before buying online, research promotional codes (online discounts) offered by retailers which can provide significant savings on your purchases. Many times you can secure free shipping or save as much as 30 percent off your total purchase.
5. Designate one credit card for online shopping, as this will allow for an easy review of purchases and provide protection in case of a dispute. Don’t use a debit card.
6. Assure that your credit card information stays safe by checking that the website uses encryption. Before entering credit card information, make sure that the website’s address begins with “https” and that there is a closed lock or unbroken key symbol in the lower portion of your window.
7. Provide your credit card number each time you make a purchase. Don’t agree to the seller keeping it on file for future purchases.
9. Print out order forms, order numbers, purchase confirmation and policies – keep a record of your transaction.
10. Make sure you keep your computer’s operating system up-to-date by regularly downloading the latest security patches. Use other security precautions, such as anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, and install a firewall.
About Victory State Bank
VSB Bancorp, Inc. (OTCQX: VSBN) is the one-bank holding company for Victory State Bank. As Staten Island, N.Y.’s only community-based commercial bank, Victory State Bank operates five full-service locations on the Island: The main office in the community of Great Kills, and branches in the communities of West Brighton, St. George, Dongan Hills and Rosebank. For additional information, Victory State Bank may be reached at 718-979-1100 or visited online at www.VictoryStateBank.com.